We are revolutionizing crossflow ultrafiltration with a new PVDF membrane solution ideal for high strength and high solids wastewater streams that is energy efficient, sustainable, and simple.
What is Polymeric Ultrafiltration (pUF)?
- Our pUF consists of a unique PVDF membrane chemistry, energy-saving module design, and patented closed-loop operating protocol for achieving high permeate recoveries.
- Our pUF performs in high strength, high solids wastewater treatment or thickening applications, providing UF quality effluent (0.04 micron pore size) with minimal energy consumption.
- Our pUF is the world’s only outside-in crossflow UF membrane filtration technology for high strength and high solids wastewater.
What Makes pUF Unique?
Our Parallel Channel PVDF Module
- Outside-in permeation occurs in parallel channels
- The required crossflow velocity to achieve high flux rates is 2-10x less than tubular membranes, resulting in dramatic energy savings
- High membrane packing density (385 ft2 in a 10” x 10’ module)
- Up to 20 psi backwashing capability to maintain peak performance
- Systems are designed to run continuously in a feed and bleed configuration or with internal concentrate thickening in a repeat batch configuration
- Typical electrical consumption: 2.5-3.0 kwh/1,000 gal of permeate
Typical Tubular Membranes
- Inside-out permeation occurs in parallel tubes
- High crossflow velocities are required to achieve optimal fluxes
- Limited backwashing capabilities (unless using our stainless UF membranes, which can be backwashed)
- Low membrane packing density (171 ft2 in a 10” x 10’ module)
- Typical electrical consumption: 25-50 kwh/1,000 gal of permeate
System Design and Scaling
Digested Organics offers several standard sizes of pUF systems to meet various capacities. Larger systems and custom designs are available upon request
|System||Module Size||Number of Modules||Total Area||Permeate Rate (GPD)*|
*Assumes average flux rate of 15 GFD and 22 hours/day operations, allowing 2 hours/day for Clean-in-Place or maintenance, as needed.
- Tolerates high solids and high concentration wastewater
- Exceptionally low energy consumption
- Fully back-washable modules allowing for extended operation between maintenance cleans
- UF permeate suitable for re-use in some applications or further purification